Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is a popular protocol for network management. It is used for collecting information from network devices, such as servers, printers, hubs, switches, and routers on an Internet Protocol (IP) network. SNMP protocol is the most common protocol used in monitoring system.
In this tutorial, i’m going to demo how to install and configure SNMP services on Windows Server 2012.
To install SNMP on a Windows 2012 Server:
- Open Server Manager and then click Add Roles and Features.
- In Select Features, check the box next to SNMP Service.
- A dialog box appear to add all others required features, click Add Features.
- Click Next and then Install
Configure an SNMP Agent and Community String in Windows 2012
- Open Server Manager -> Tools -> Click Services.
- look for SNMP Service
- Right click on SNMP Service and click on Properties.
- Click on the Security tab.
- To configure SNMP services, first thing is to give a community name.
- In Accepted community names, click add to add the required community name and rights. (Please take note that don’t assign Read Write rights, just assign Read Only rights)
- Second, please do not allow all host to accept SNMP packets due to some security reason.
- Please Select Accept SNMP packets from these hosts option and then click Add to add Hostname, IP Address of the Monitoring Server.
- Finally, just click OK and then restart SNMP service.