I facing connection issue with my existing old TP-LINK router. I decided to make some changes for my home unifi connection by use old Sonicwall NSA 240 as router.
Home network equipment and ISP details:-
Modem: ZTE ZXDSL 931DII
Router: Ruckus Access Point
Firewall used: SONICWALL NSA 240
ISP: TM Unifi
In order to establish connection to unifi, i need to configure Sonicwall WAN interface (X1 by default) with PPPoE settings.
To configure PPPoE:
1. Click the Network | Interfaces tab.
2. Click Configure for the WAN interface (X1 by default).
3. Under IP assignment, choose PPPoE from the drop down menu.
4. Enter the User name and User password given by the ISP.
5. At the bottom of the page, you can choose Obtain IP address automatically if the ISP is leasing out IP addresses, or you can manually specify the IP address by choosing Specify IP Address and entering the IP Address given by the ISP.
Once you connected, you will WAN interface show Disconnect button which means you already connected to PPPoE connecting.
How to test the connection?
There is 2 way to test connection. First method is you perform ping test to google DNS (220.127.116.11) from your laptop.
Second method perform ping test from Firewall Diagnostic utility. Below are the steps to do it:-
1. On the SonicWall, Click System | Diagnostics. Choose Ping in the “Diagnostic utility” drop down in the Sonic OS Standard and Enhanced firmware.
2. Ping your ISP’s Default Gateway or any IP that is pingable on the Internet (e.g. 18.104.22.168)
3. Also try to ping a website (eg: www.google.com) to ensure that the DNS resolution is working.