Below are the tips to learn how to tell if a CMOS battery is low.
- If your computer’s clock falling behind or continually incorrect even though you might have reset the time.
- When the CMOS battery does get low, it will not be a crisis initially. You will have some time to open your computer and find out what replacement battery you will need.
- With some computer models, you will receive an error message on your screen initially at startup. This message varies by manufacturer. You may also see a prompt at start up that states “Press F1 for setup or F2 to load default values.” Know that this could vary by computer brand.
- Sometimes the computer will not show signs of failure at each boot up. It may be more random at first. Or, your computer may get to a certain point in the start up process and then freeze. And, rebooting does not seem to help this problem.
- when the battery is drained entirely, it will not be able to save any of your settings and then the CMOS will need to be replaced.
A lot of computer users still use mice with rolling, rubber balls underneath them. If your mouse stops tracking correctly, or jerks around onscreen without a software problem, your mouse might need cleaning.
- Flip your mouse upside down. If it’s has a rolling ball, you will see a ball surrounded by a small circular cover with indentations in it. Move the circular cover counter-clockwise or clockwise until it comes off. The mouse ball may fall out and onto the floor, so be careful that it doesn’t roll away.
- The ball itself isn’t dirty. It’s made out of rubber. What is dirty are the circular sensors that turn as the mouse ball moves. They sometimes accumulate hair, fiber and dirt, causing tracking problems.
- Take a swab and rub all foreign matter off of these small circular wheels. You may need to spin them with the swab or your fingertip to remove all the gunk.
- When the tracking wheels are clean, put the mouse ball back in the socket, and spin the cover closed. Your mouse should now track in a much smoother manner.
- To keep your mouse tracking well, clean the inside wheels every few months.
Many times when we install programs, the install process will scan your computer for file types and then ask you if you would like these files to be open with the program being installed. Once the program is installed certain file types will be open with that program.
- Select: Start, Control Panel, Tools, Folder Options. Continue reading